The Club was established in 1966 for the purpose of bringing together leaders who had an impact on the United States, and the world,
through their work in various business, professional, civic, social and political milieus. The Club occupies one of the few remaining 18th century frame buildings in the historic port district of Georgetown, and is believed to have been John Suter’s Tavern, circa 1783. In that era, inns and taverns were the focal points of community life.
In addition to offering food, drink and lodging, they were true “public houses” where political debates, civic meetings and business deals were common. It was at Suter’s Tavern where President George Washington, surveyor Andrew Ellicott, and then architect of the Capitol, Major Pierre L’Enfant, met at least three times to plan the federal city that would become Washington, D.C. When plans were completed, the first plats for the city were auctioned off at the Tavern.
After the Club opened in 1966, the founders extensively renovated the run-down historic building, added the brick entryway, excavated the lower level, imported European paneling, chandeliers, furniture, artwork, and rescued the wrought iron work by Samuel Yellin from demolition at the original Morgan Guaranty Trust Bank in New York City. Over time, the two brick townhouses adjacent to the original structure were purchased and incorporated into the Club and finished with the same care and detail as the original rooms.